A fire broke out in the cafe of a Tesco Supermarket in Plymouth on Wednesday evening following a fault with a kitchen refrigeration unit.

Two fire crews were called to the site at 1am.  Watch commander Dave Marsh said “The fire was harsh in and around the refrigerator unit and had gone up into the ceiling. Luckily, the store is fitted with a sprinkler system which minimised the spread.

“No-one was injured. The shop was closed at the time of the fire but there were around 20 members of staff stacking shelves and receiving goods”, said watch commander Marsh.

The Transit Way superstore was open the following day but a large section was cordoned off while staff undertook a clean-up operation.

Fire Safety Accreditations