Sprinkler Save: Sixth Form College: Middlesborough
Noel Cornforth at Cleveland Fire Brigade reports that at just after 1500hrs on the afternoon of Sunday 17th May, and while the building was occupied by about 100 Students, a fire occurred in a waste bin in a second floor toilet area at a Sixth Form College in Middlesborough.
One pendant sprinkler head activated in the affected area and extinguished the fire before the arrival of fire ervice personnel in two pumps and one aerial appliance.
The purpose built 6000m2, five storey building was erected about 7 years ago with sprinklers installed from the outset as an integral part of the fire safety measures. During the week about 1000 students regularly attend.
Damage is said to be less than 5m2 and the loss reported as being about £50. Although the affected room was out of commission for about 2 days the remainder of the College was able to function as normal.
Noel reports; ‘the fire was confined to the room of origin and without sprinkler intervention the fire could have spread to cause significant damage to the fire floor, interrupting the day to day function at the College.’
BAFSA Comments: Yet another fire starting in a lavatory demonstrates the value of sprinklers in all spaces in a protected building. Whether it was deliberate or accidental disposal of smoking materials, there are many examples of fires starting in lavatories in shopping centres and schools.
Source:Sprinkler Save: Sixth Form College: Middlesborough: 17 May 1500 hrs